Friday, February 26, 2010

Aunt Jean's Rich Chocolate Gravy Recipe

As a child, whenever I visited my Aunt Jean she would make her delicious rich chocolate gravy for breakfast. It only took one time for me to be hooked. Around the age of eleven, I began to have an interest in cooking. I asked my Aunt Jean for her gravy recipe; and I’ve been making chocolate gravy for breakfast ever since. I also discovered chocolate gravy is an easy chocolate dessert since the ingredients are staples in my kitchen. WARNING…I’m pretty sure the rich chocolate taste is what turned me into a chocoholic; so make it at your own risk!

Aunt Jean’s Rich Chocolate Gravy Recipe

1 c. sugar
¾ c. flour
3 T. unsweetened cocoa (increase this to make it more chocolaty, if desired)
cold water
8 T. (1 stick) butter, NOT margarine
4 c. milk
1 t. vanilla, NOT imitation – use the real stuff

In a heavy saucepan, stir together the sugar, flour, and cocoa until well blended. Add cold water, a little bit (about a tablespoon) at a time; and stir until you have a thick chocolate paste. Stir in milk, one cup at a time. Add the stick of butter; and place on medium heat. This must be watched carefully; and stirred constantly. Reduce heat if chocolate gravy starts to stick and burn. Continue to cook until the chocolate gravy is thick; and it reaches the desired consistency. Remove from heat; and stir in the teaspoon of vanilla. Serve over hot buttered biscuits. Makes 3-4 servings.

Just typing this chocolate gravy recipe makes my mouth water. This is so yummy for breakfast; but also, makes a great chocolate dessert. It’s so easy and delicious; you’ve got to try it. Be sure and let me know how you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment