Friday, August 19, 2011

1962 World Series Game Six (Part 2)


Whitey Ford


Juan Marichal
 As you can imagine Giants fans were wound up going into game six with the Yankee’s ahead three games to two. Our star pitcher Juan Marichal lost a fingernail trying to bunt in game four putting him out of contention for game six or seven.

The big day was here at last. There was a light rain falling; and I was sick with a cold. Not a bad cold; but bad enough to stay home from school. About 8 or 9AM there was a knock at the door. It was Mr. Tenant looking for me. I jumped out of bed; and got ready to go to game six of the World Series. We were going to go to his office where he had a meeting to attend before leaving for the game. Just before we left my house he was talking to my mom and was praising me for the wonderful letter I had written to him. My mom asked him “what letter”? I went numb realizing there was some kind of mistake. Mr. Tenant had mistaken me, for someone else. I heard someone say “you remember that letter I wrote” realizing the words came out of my mouth! An awkward pause, then I remember my mom uttering something like “oh yes”. I had lied; and I think Mr. Tenant knew something was wrong. I felt sick to my stomach as we walked to the car knowing I not only lied but; was also cheating another kid out of going to the World Series. To this day that lie troubles me; and I am sorry that I had not told the truth.


Mickey Mantel


Willie Mays
 Mr. Tenant’s office was very large with a great view atop a building in downtown Oakland. It seemed like he was in the meeting for hours. I had a lot of time to think. Then, I remembered a name I had heard a few times at the Boys Club that sounded like my name. I knew that someone mixed up the names; and had given Mr. Tenant the wrong phone number. When Mr. Tenant came back in from his meeting, he said the game was rained out. I still said nothing about the lie.



Willie McCovey

Roger Maris

Orlando Cepeda
After three days of rain the sun came out; and game six of the World Series would be played. That morning Mr. Tenant picked me up; and we drove out to Walnut Creek to pick up another kid. Off to Candlestick we went. The funny thing is I don’t remember much about the game itself. I remember helicopters drying the field when we got there; and I remember seeing and hearing the names of the players. Perhaps you know some of the player’s names like Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Whitey Ford, Willie Mays, Willie McCovey Felipe Alou and Orlando Cepeda, The Giants won game six by a score of 5 to 2 tying the series at 3 games apiece. Game seven would determine the 1962 World Series champs. I think that Juan Marichal and Felipe Alou telling the ending to the 1962 World Series would be a lot more interesting than me telling you.









No comments:

Post a Comment